It’s not just kids who would benefit from universal preschool—it’s good for pretty much everybody.
Showing 19 posts tagged economy
Surprise! The GOP’s rural, red state base would fare much worse under Romney’s economic plan than Obama’s.
Inside this week’s issue:
- Obama’s quietly escalating alliance with a murderous coup regime
- Fixing the economy by moving beyond corporate capitalism to public ownership:
- Military detention for journalists
- A review of Sacha Baron Cohen’s ‘The Dictator’
- The dirty secrets of Colorado’s most notorious nuclear plant
Across Europe, people are vocally and actively rejecting austerity. But they’re not doing so as Europeans, Nation columnist Gary Younge points out. Global and regional solidarity has been limited, Younge explains in this video, even as people fight similar battles against income inequality and other forms of injustice.
Inside this week’s Nation:
- Throwaway People: Will Teens Sent to Die in Prison Get a Second Chance? Trina Garnett accidentally set a fatal fire when she was 14. That was in 1976. Could a Supreme Court ruling on juvenile life without parole finally bring her home?
- Why Is NATO Necessary? We should shrink the alliance’s budget and ambitions and focus on the greatest threat to the West: economic crisis.
- Can the Euro Avert Collapse? As politicians dither, the threat of default spreads from Greece to Spain and Italy.
- How to Revive the Postal Service: It’s smart politics—the PO is popular, and could be a great community aid in the digital era.
- & more
Thousands have turned out to protest at the BoA shareholders meeting today, following demonstrations in New York yesterday outside BoA’s Manhattan offices. Many protesters explain that they’ve been personally impacted by the bank’s practices:
My house was foreclosed by Bank of America after I lost my job… It’s not a joke to live without a job. My family depends on me. We don’t deserve to be put on the street. I’ve tried to modify my mortgage five times with Bank of America, but they’d rather put it in a short sale.
Latest updates and photos from the demonstrations here.